Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The '08 presidential race - in search of global leadership

I know it's really early in the 2008 presidential race but I'm really betwixt and between (as my mother used to say) about who I support in the Democratic race. To be really committed to a candidate I need to agree with their views. I need to like the way in which they communicate. But I also add track record into the equation -their experience at operating on a global level.

By global I'm referring to a holistic perspective. I guess other people might agree with that perspective and that's why a lot of governors have beaten senators in the race for President. They've got experience running their states as a microcosm of a national government, balancing their revenues and expenses and protecting their interests in the larger national stage.

Or perhaps the governors have simply avoided the downside of having a national track record in the spotlight and under the magnifying glass. The only way for a legislator in either house to avoid being wrong on a position is simply not to have taken one.

The other way that I view global experience as important is that our national leader needs to understand what's going on around the world and have an appropriate (as defined by me of course) perception of the United States' role in it. This has been the most frightening piece of the Bush administration to me. Our president has displayed a shocking ignorance of the longstanding conflicts in the Middle East, and even an inability to name key world leaders accurately.

No wonder that Bush has resorted to the global strategy of a seven-year-old - punch them first so they'll be too woozy to punch you back. Oh, and don't worry about whether they're actually the one who pantsed you in gym class - if they're not the guy who did it they'll get the message from seeing the other guy's bloody nose that they'd better back off. Yeah, right. And I won't even get into the fact that he didn't personally have to do the punching. He sent his loyal citizens to get broken knuckles on his behalf.

I think we should learn from the many mishaps of the current administration when we choose the next one, but this situation is sort of like applying for a new job or thinking about dating a new person: it's risky to choose something or someone just because they're NOT what you've had. We need to be choosing someone, not just avoiding someone else.

At times I like Hillary the best. She's got the experience on the largest stage and I think she has the gonads to stand up to bullies, domestic or international. I don't think she's under any illusions, and yet sometimes I think that interferes with her ability to be inspirational. Barack has it in the inspiration department in my opinion. And I really like how Joe Biden calls it as he sees it.

It'll all reveal itself in time, but we need a Democrat who can put these last two terms of foolishness behind us and get on with the real work of being the America we can be.

No comments: